Re: paper-defaults-init.ly questions

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: paper-defaults-init.ly questions
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 15:48:39 -0800

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 5:02 PM, Mark Polesky <address@hidden> wrote:
> I found these in paper-defaults-init.ly:
>
>  #(define make-header (...))
>  #(define make-footer (...))
>  #(define font-defaults '((...)))
>  #(define text-font-defaults `((...)))
>
> 1) Do we need the quasiquote ` for text-font-defaults?
>   Wouldn't a regular quote ' be fine?

A regular quote is fine in this case.  If there was an `unquote' or
`unquote-splicing' in the quoted list, then the quasiquote would be
required.

> 2) Are these \paper variables like the others or is that a
>   misconception?  Is there value in declaring them like the
>   rest of the \paper variables?  Like so:
>
>     make-header = #(...)
>     make-footer = #(...)
>     font-defaults = #'((...))
>     text-font-defaults = #'((...))

I think this style looks more appealing, but I can't tell if this
change would have any effect.

I can run a regression-test check if you send a patch...

>   Should they be listed alongside the other \paper
>   variables in NR 4.1?

Might as well, just as long as you can document them ;)

> 3) I'd like to change this...
>
>     mm = 1.0
>     in = 25.4
>     pt = #(/ in 72.27)
>     cm = #(* 10 mm)
>
>   ...to this...
>
>     mm = #1.0
>     cm = #(* 10 mm)
>     in = #(* 25.4 mm)
>     pt = #(/ in 72.27)
>
>   Would that be better?

I was considering this about a year ago, but then I discovered the
parallel definitions (mm, in, etc.) in ly/declarations-init.ly.  It's
confusing to me why the variables are declared in two different
places, and in two different ways.

> 4) These numbers should have a # in front of them, right?
>
>     blank-after-score-page-force = 2
>     blank-last-page-force = 0
>     blank-page-force = 5

Yes, I believe so.