Re: @var in program's msgid/msgstr

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: @var in program's msgid/msgstr
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 10:58:02 -0800

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 1:50 AM, Francisco Vila <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello. I am translating the program gettext file.  What's the point of
> emphasizing words with @var{} in msgid's?  Is the output
> (warning/errors etc) of the program to be processed by texinfo?

I think the intent is to *eventually* generate a list of
publicly-available functions for the Internals Reference, and some of
these functions use @var{} in their docstrings to indicate function
parameter names.  There are inconsistencies here, in that some
docstrings are internationalized and some are not, and some public
functions don't have docstrings at all.

Also, note that many of these functions are LilyPond music functions
defined in .ly files, and the PO template generation does not notice
these docstrings.  Perhaps this is a point we can address during GOP?

For example, in ly/music-functions-init.ly, you see

applyContext =
#(define-music-function (parser location proc) (procedure?)
   (_i "Modify context properties with Scheme procedure @var{proc}.")

but this string is not found in lilypond.pot.

I hope this clarifies things a bit for you.

Thanks,
Patrick