Re: accidental-unbroken-tie-spacing.ly

From: James Bailey
Subject: Re: accidental-unbroken-tie-spacing.ly
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 20:06:55 +0100

On Dec 10, 2010, at 7:48 PM, Phil Holmes wrote:

> I've downloaded and installed LilyBuntu and I've got the source with git, so
> I'm looking for a simple regtest to improve, to practice.
>
> I've come across accidental-unbroken-tie-spacing.ly
>
> To me, there are a number of errors.  Apart from the fact that I'm not
> convinced by the word "accidentaled ", it claims that tied notes with
> accidentals cause reminder accidentals.  I don't believe they do.  We could
> modify the regtest to force a reminder with !.
>
> Before I go ahead and force the accidental and improve the description, could
> someone confirm that this would be a minor, but correct change?

Perhaps this is only a problem of the description. Comparing accidental-tie.ly
and accidental-unbroken-tie-spacing.ly, one could theoretically use the same
music (changing which notes should show accidentals) for both.

If accidental-tie has the second measure on the same system (unbroken), there
is no accidental, which is normal engraving practice.
If accidental-unbroken-tie-spacing has the second measure on a different system
(broken) there is an accidental.

I always understood these two to demonstrate that:
a) an accidental on a tied note is shown after a line break
and
b) a note tied from a note with an accidental (how's that for getting around
accidentaled?) on the same system (unbroken) does not go wonky with the spacing.

Perhaps the description should just omit the bit about the reminder accidentals.