Re: lilybuntu 2

From: Jonathan Kulp
Subject: Re: lilybuntu 2
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 09:39:57 -0600

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 2:48 PM, Jonathan Kulp <address@hidden> wrote:
>> With that in mind, does anybody feel like cooking up lilybuntu 2
>> right now?  I recommend
>> - Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
>> - nothing else fancy

lilybuntu2 is about ready. I've created the .iso and installed in a VM
for testing, all that's left is to test the doc-build in the VM.
building of LP itself went fine. Lilybuntu2 should be even easier for
folks than the previous version b/c now I already have the
lily-git.tcl script in user's home directory after installation. Just
have to log in & run the script to download source and get rolling.

>> It would be great if you could write a brief blurb about how to do
>> it, because we'll probabaly want to update it once guile and
>> texinfo have new releases.

It'll be easy for me to install those new packages and re-run the iso
creation. No worries, but here's the short version of how to create
lilybuntu (I did this on a spare drive, but it can be done in a VM
too, I assume):

1. Install ubuntu, reboot
2. Run all updates, reboot if asked
3. Enable src repos, refresh package lists
4. install LP build deps:
  sudo apt-get build-dep lilypond
5. install git and autoconf:
  sudo apt-get install git-core gitk autoconf

TEST TO SEE WHETHER EVERYTHING WORKS NOW:
   1. use lily-git.tcl to grab source files
   2. go to source dir and do "./autogen.sh" ; make ; make doc
   3. if all compiles, move on to iso creation...

6. Download & install "remastersys":
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/remastersys/
7. copy lily-git.tcl script file into /etc/skel/
8. modify /etc/remastersys.conf as desired (change .iso name,
  default live session username, etc)
9. Remove non-essential desktop software as desired
10. create iso:  sudo remastersys dist
11. new iso is in /home/remastersys/remastersys/
12. test iso by installing in VM and repeating steps above for
getting source files and building lp and docs

--
Jonathan Kulp
http://www.jonathankulp.com