Re: addendum to \break in examples

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: addendum to \break in examples
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 23:56:13 +0000

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 03:03:24PM +0100, Valentin Villenave wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 12:33 AM, Graham Percival
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > % or even:
> >  c2 d e d | e f g f | g f e d
> >  \break
> >  c2 d e d | e f g f | g c, e d | c1
>
> Why not use quarter-notes?

I think there was some spacing reason why showing crescendi with 2
was better than 4.

> > I don't encourage accidentals or dotted rhythms, but there's a lot
> > that we can do with simple melodies in C major (or A minor) to
> > make it easier for people to recognize a particular bar of input
> > to a particular bar of output.
>
> I'm not sure I understand, but: are you suggesting that we match
> line-breaks in the input with line-breaks in the output?

Not precisely.  I'm suggesting that if you feel the urge to add
\bar "||" to the example to let people figure out where they're
looking in the output, then
1. add some simple melody or a sequence of notes.
2. if you need to make sure something starts at the beginning of a
line, use \break
3. (should be first) consider whether your example needs to be
that complicated in the first place.

In the example I was looking at, #3 didn't qualify, so I didn't
mention it in the original email, although I should have.

> Speaking of simple melodies, you might disapprove of my latest doc addition
> :-)

What, you mean your ridiculously complicated example with es and
is?  Which doesn't even abide by the doc policy of having one bar
per line, or failing that absolutely having a duration at the
beginning of each line?