Re: flags, beams and stem length in forced directions - output improveme

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: flags, beams and stem length in forced directions - output improvement
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 09:22:35 +0100

2010/12/31 Carl Sorensen <address@hidden>:

> I think I agree, but this rule does not agree with the engraving books.  So
> if we go this way we're breaking new ground.  That makes me nervous.  I
> certainly wouldn't want to do this without get agreement from a larger
> number of the core developers.

Hi!

Sorry I'm not a guru of engraving practices, nor a core developer (not
even a developer).
But I have a general thought, Janek.

All the examples you show us are very simple minimal examples consisting
of repeating the same note and/or scales.
In real-life scores there is a melody and notes are usually going up
and down (not randomly but you see what I mean).  Also we usually have
a mix of beamed and unbeamed, sometimes mix of single voice / polyphony
and I'm not sure your minimal examples take this into account.

Hence the reference to engraving books and/or what reputable editions
do, simply because that's what a musician is used to (or should, since
we now find more and more poorly engraved scores using "famous"
proprietary softwares).

Cheers,
Xavier

--