Re: improving the transition between full-length and shortenedstems. (is

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: improving the transition between full-length and shortenedstems. (issue4210051)
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 23:52:04 -0000

Janek Warchoł wrote Wednesday, March 02, 2011 8:53 PM

2011/3/1 Trevor Daniels <address@hidden>

Yes, they are longer, but the stems on the full-size notes look too long
in this context to my eye.

I've attached the output from 2.13.52.

In my opinion it is ok.

It's OK; just not optimum when isolated like this.

While i agree that in this particular example the stems may look
*slightly* better if they were a bit shorter, i suppose that
implementing this (i.e. making stem length depend on a broader context than their position on the staff) would require too much work; i also don't see by what criteria this could be judged. Since vast majority of cases look better with this patch, and this problem isn't serious
imo, i suggest leaving it alone.

On balance your patch is a definite improvement, so I agree.

PS my first patch is now in an official LilyPond release! Hooray!

Congratulations!  Welcome aboard!

Trevor