Re: a list of manually fine-tuned beaming exceptions?

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: a list of manually fine-tuned beaming exceptions?
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 16:52:33 -0000

Janek Warchoł wrote Saturday, March 05, 2011 12:05 PM

while i'd love to improve beaming algorithm itself so that it would produce perfect beams on its own, it's a task way beyond my current skills. Still some wrong beams bother me very much, for example this
one
 \relative c'' { b8[ a16 g] }
it's really too high, and the secondary beam doesn't cover the
staffline despite being able to easily do so.
Compare it to \relative
c'' { g8[ f16 e] } - this one is more difficult (more stafflines to
take care of), but executed better.

When I suggested investigating the automatic beaming I didn't
mean messing with the code.  But there are a number of parameters
in the #'details property of beam which might be worth exploring.
For example, the default value of stem-length-demerit-factor is
5.  Setting this to 10 lowers the beam of the first example above by
a staff space. Setting it to 20 lowers it by 2 ss. Neither of these
settings changes the beam position in the second of your examples.

But I've not investigated any others.

Trevor