Re: Linux help please?

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Linux help please?
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 15:41:36 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: "Federico Bruni" <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, March 13, 2011 3:35 PM

On 3/13/11, Phil Holmes <address@hidden> wrote:
----- Original Message -----
Dahdi. This failed on an include, and so I was trying to edit the source
file.

For the record, the proper solution here is to install the development
library(ies) that it wanted.

I was following instructions on how to install Asterisk, and they told me to go get and make. So I did...

 It's owned by root and so logged in as phil, it was read-only.  I
thought that rather than learn the syntax of chmod, I'd just briefly log
in
as root.

For the record, never never do this, and especially not in ubuntu.
You get extra permissions by running "sudo".  Also, I wouldn't try
modifying source code as root -- copy the source into your user
directory (is this from a tarball?), do the ./configure and compile
there, and only at the last step do sudo make install.

Problem was I'm a Windows-orientated person, and so was double-clicking to edit, and you can't (?) sudo that way. FWIW I had copied the file over, but it retained root ownership.

But in addition, I really don't recommend compiling software unless
you're absolutely certain that you need to.  I don't think you need
to:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/dahdi

* oh, if the problem was the kernel thing, then you should use an
automatic tool for dealing with the kernel interface.  I forget what
it's called... module-assist or something like that?

Thanks for your suggestion - it's not a terminal, though, it's a desktop,
but with no start bars, places, applications or anything like that. I can't
find a way to run anything...

You could try right-clicking, which might allow you to create a
launcher, and then make a terminal.  Alternately, hit ctrl-alt-F2 to
get a terminal.  (ctrl-alt-F7 to go back).  From there, you can try
rescue commands that you find (hopefully you have another computer or
laptop handy)?

Aha. The ctrl-alt-F2 looks promising. I've found some stuff about how to get the desktop back, so hopefully I can do this from the terminal now. It's only a VM, so if the worst came I'd nuke it and start again. It would have cost me a number of hours, though.

My first guess is that some of the files in /home/phil/.foo  (note the
. )  are now owned by root and non-readable, so your user can't read
them and inialize stuff.  Check out .xinit and stuff like that.

Thanks.

--
Phil Holmes