Re: Adds automatic numbering to footnotes. (issue4244064)

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Adds automatic numbering to footnotes. (issue4244064)
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 12:20:08 -0400

On Mar 19, 2011, at 12:14 PM, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 1:07 PM, address@hidden
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> One way to avoid a two-pass system is to redo the way that top-level markups
>> are stashed in LilyPond.  If LilyPond can re-evaluate these markups after
>> page breaking is calculated, it can scan to see if their vertical extent is
>> the same as the original.  If so, keep the page breaking configuration.  If
>> not, re-calculate page breaking, taking the new vertical extents into
>> account.  Then re-update the footnotes.  Do this as a loop until the new
>> extent equal the old extent for every text markup.
>
> You realize that you may end up in an infinite loop for (rare)
> degenerate cases, right? If anything, you should stop after the 2nd
> pass.

Good point - I can make the # of passes in the loop a variable w/ the default
as 2.

However, for now, would you agree that the two-pass solution is better than the
alternative (too-wide / too-narrow spacing)?  Although I don't have much
feedback for where this would be useful, the one person who has given this code
a spin (Bertrand) and who is pretty invested in all things footnote seems to
like this system over a one-pass alternative (I'm not putting words into your
mouth, am I, Bertrand?).

Cheers,
Mike