Re: landscape mode vs. new paper size

From: James Lowe
Subject: Re: landscape mode vs. new paper size
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 12:50:07 +0000

Graham,
.

On 26 Mar 2011, at 21:03, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> I managed to add a [landscape] option to @lilypond, but it prints
> music rotate 90 degrees.  In retrospect, that should have been
> obvious -- that's exactly what we want landscape to do!  But it's
> not useful for the NR 3 spacing chapter.
>
> How about defining a spacing-doc (icky name) page size?  So that
> NR 3 Spacing  can use:
>  @lilypond[pagesize=spacing-doc]
> (I'm not certain if hyphens are allowed in paper sizes)

> which would have landscape dimensions, without being rotated?  We
> could even add a series of doc page sizes (doc1, doc2, doc3...)
> with different sizes... doc1 could be the smallest, and intended
> for a tagline only; doc2 might be intended for two staves (to show
> some staff-staff spacing stuff), while doc3 could be intended to
> hold two piano staves, etc?
>
> Think about it, and maybe propose a patch to add some doc sizes to
> paper.scm that you think would be useful.  I know this was your
> original plan, which I derailed with this landscape
> investigation... sorry about that!

That's OK, we can still do this with 'proper' paper sizes with internationally
defined names rather than our own custom ones.

For example, we could define some 'C' sizes which are used for defining
envelopes, are as internationally recognised as 'A' sizes but come in landscape
dimensions small enough to be useful for us to use in the doc, I think.

I'll have a play and see. It will mean we change the .scm file (which seems
relatively straightforward) but If it works I'll submit that as an addition to
the original patch, as it will only be a few lines.

James