Re: improvement(s) on LSR 445

From: -Eluze
Subject: Re: improvement(s) on LSR 445
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 04:27:00 -0700 (PDT)

hi Gilles

Gilles THIBAULT wrote:

> I have tried various combinations of relative and absolute mode. All
> combinations seem to work
> except this one :
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> \relative {
>    \clef bass
>    \makeOctaves #1   { a,4 f gis,2  }
> }

yes, as soon as there is a pitch interval of a fifth or more you run into
troubles (and i had only tested simple scales...)

> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> I think it is impossible to have it working because \makeOctaves have no
> ways to know we are in \relative mode. (well i am not absolutely sure of
> that).

i presume all possible tricks have been tried to achieve this!? my idea was
to send two notes - e.g. g and c - to a function and get back the respective
octaves - in relative mode, c should be in another octave than g. maybe this
is just wishful thinking.

> Two cases
> 1-The user have to specify \relative explicitly like that :
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> \relative {
>    \clef bass
>    \makeOctaves #1  \relative  { a,4 f gis,2  } %% that works
> }
> 2- The function have to add \relative to the parameter automatically, and
> propose a way to specify the absolute mode.
> I have just added a snippet in the LSR of a function i made for my needs :
> http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=761  ,
> and this the choice i made.
> This snippet is a bit an extension of the snippet 445 because you can
> create
> functions with which you can add notes not only in an octave range but
> also
> in any
> transposition you would wish.

great, thanks - i will try it out!