Re: using the feta font in a GPL2 application

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: using the feta font in a GPL2 application
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 15:10:29 -0300

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Florian Jung <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> I believe that *everybody* who has worked on the feta fonts would need
>>> to give that permission.  You can find this list by looking at the git
>>> changelog messages for those files, but I do not recommend going
>>> further with this.  I really recommend that you either use the old
>>> GPLv2 feta fonts, or use GPLv3 (possibly 3+) for your application.
>>>
>>> It's unfortunate that copyright law gets in the way like this, but it
>>> does.
>>>

>> Well, only if anyone decides to make an issue of this, and it's not
>> like we claim any sort of rights over images of the font when we put
>> them on paper or screen. I think you can just go ahead with muse2.
>>
>> I'd recommend using freetype for the rendering instead btw, as you'll
>> be more flexible wrt symbol sizes on screens of different device
>> resolutions.
>>

> may i read that as a "feel free to use the font, if someone decides that he
> doesn't like that, he will kindly ask you to use another font instead of
> killing you immediately" :)?

This reads as: "please stop fussing over tiny differences in GPL
versions; if you have a good idea, just do it."

I don't think we can claim GPL rights over bitmaps of the font anyway.
 Then again IANAL, and neither is anyone else on the list.  I did
however, write the biggest portion of the feta code over which we are
agonizing.