Re: No more releases: savannah sometimes does not like git fetch --depth

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: No more releases: savannah sometimes does not like git fetch --depth
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 13:59:52 +0100

On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 01:32:29PM +0100, Trevor Daniels wrote:

> Graham Percival Thursday, June 09, 2011 12:03 PM
> >Past discussion suggests that this is a network-specific bug or
> >something, which absolutely sucks for debugging.
>
> I've attached an email which explains a similar problem
> I had just over a year ago.  You'll see the full
> explanation there, together with a maybe fortuitous
> local fix.  There's no way of telling if this problem
> is the same, but it looks more than possible.

Unfortunately the MTU stuff is completely over my head, but I will
note that doing
  git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git
works 100% of the time ("works" meaning "I saw 'remote: counting
objects' within 5 seconds)

whereas
  git clone --depth 1 git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git
works about 5% of the time ("not working" defined as "did not see
any 'remote: counting objects' within 30 seconds)