Re: parameters in metafont files

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: parameters in metafont files
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 13:43:13 +0200

2011/6/10 Carl Sorensen <address@hidden>:

> On 6/9/11 3:18 PM, "Janek Warchoł" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I remember that i tried doing this separation, but
>> something didn't work. I hope i have that draft somewhere though.
>
> I think that what causes problems is you lose the definition of
> black-notehead-width (which comes from feta-noteheads).

Yes.
I discovered that my previous try is available as Rietveld issue:
http://codereview.appspot.com/4273119/
Unfortunately i still don't know how to extract the information about
black_notehead_width. It should be made some kind of a global
variable, but the main problem is that its value is not specified
explicitely, but it's a result of a drawing operation.
I searched for metafont resources on the web, but they seem to be very
limited. I found http://metafont.tutorial.free.fr/, but it's about
drawing operations, not structural problems. There also seems to be no
active forum about it...
Han-Wen, Werner, Keith, Marc - IIRC you are the people who work with
fonts. Do you know how to do this and if it's possible at all?
Otherwise i'll simply hardcode the value, but it'll be very rude (and
a little wrong in fact - feta26 notehead width is 1.316 while feta11
notehead width is 1.306).

>>> Glad to be of help!  I really do like your work, and I want to see it
>>> implemented in LilyPond.
>>
>> I'm so happy to hear this! Sometimes i have the impression that noone
>> really cares.
>> And wait till i start another project! It's gonna be about ties ;)
>> Maybe i'll finish it before Lily 3.0...
>
> Great!

I was sarcastic ;) in fact i want to do it in 1-2 months; some help
from development team will be necessary for this ofc. Now i know that
i cannot work longer than 2 months on a project, i'm going nuts after
that time.

cheers,
Janek