Re: Silent/quiet builds

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: Silent/quiet builds
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 23:08:25 -0600

On 11-06-15 01:13 PM, Colin Campbell wrote:
Phil Holmes<mail<at>  philholmes.net>  writes:

Question for GP really, but on the list for others to chime in as needed.

In the CG:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/contributor/useful-make-variables
we already have a way of quietening the output.  This is used in particular
in make with the font files and would, I think, reduce the make output
significantly (can't try it yet, I'm in the middle of yet another complete
doc build).  It seems wrong not to use this facility more - is it used?
Should most of my "make quieter" changes be contingent on this variable
being set?

(I assume its usage is make doc QUIET_BUILD=1)

I haven't nailed it down, Phil, but some of my recent problems with building the
docs may have come from using various combinations of make -s doc or make
QUIET_BUILD=1 doc or even make -s QUIET_BUILD=1 doc.  I'm at the office now and
about to go to a meeting, but I'll see if I can, in fact, make the error happen.

cheers,
Colin

I can't reproduce it reliably enough to be sure it's not a bad download of the 2.13.63 tarball, so my apologies for the noise; I'll just go back under the bridge and grumble quietly to myself. The source from git is fine and the binaries from the website all are fine, so it's something in my environment and there are probably other fish wanting frying.

Cheers,
Colin

--
A chief event of life is the day in which we have encountered a mind
that startled us.