Re: Fixes error for tuplet bracket direction calculation when tuplets co

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Fixes error for tuplet bracket direction calculation when tuplets contain rests. (issue4668045)
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 18:32:22 +0200

On Jun 29, 2011, at 3:25 PM, address@hidden wrote:

> Pass all reg tests.
>
> However, I note that in the tuplet_rest.ly file
>
> i) the tuplet is above the staff for the 3 x crotchet/quarter rest
> measure where it was below previously (i.e r4 r r)
>
> ii) the last 2 measures where the last note is a stemUp instead of
> stemDown but has a rest in either first quarter note or second quarter
> note (i.e. r c g and c r g) the tuplet bracket is also above instead of
> below the staff as it was previously
>
> Now this may be right but I have no tracker to check against and cannot
> remember a discussion on whether tuplets should be up or down in this
> case.
>
> So it may be fine, but technically this reg test is significantly
> different - although it fixes the 'bad' case and puts the tuplet aobve
> the staff instead of below.
>
> Mike is it worth doing the same as the first measure but th eother way
> round? i.e make a test where the note is very high and the tuplet sits
> below? Seems odd to only have one case and not the other.

Hey James,

Currently, Lilypond does not factor in note position w/ respect to the staff
symbol in order to place the tuplet bracket.  Nor did my patch...until I read
your e-mail.  What you're saying makes sense.  I've made a new patch so that
LilyPond, as a default, chooses the direction that is closest to the
StaffSymbol when there is an equal number of up and down notes.  I've updated
the regtest to show this.

The only issue with this may be one of sight reading.  If I am reading at
quaver=200 and I see \relative c''' { \times 2/3 { c4 b,, b } } , I'm likely
going to want to see the tuplet above the staff so that I don't accidentally
play the first note as a quarter.  Is there anything in Behind Bars on this?

Cheers,
MS