Re: auto numbering footnote checkin doesn't play with \null and \musicgl

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: auto numbering footnote checkin doesn't play with \null and \musicglyph
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 13:12:06 +0200

Am Freitag, 29. Juli 2011, 13:30:30 schrieb address@hidden:
> AUTOMATIC-FOOTNOTES
>
> In automatic footnotes, there are three pertinent commands
> \autoFootnote
> \autoFootnoteGrob
> \footnote

For the documentation: The first two are music functions, the third one is a
markup function.

> footnote-auto-numbering (default = ##t)
[..]
> -- a function that takes ONE AND ONLY ONE INPUT, which should be an
> INTEGER, and returns the appropriate markup to be used in numbering the
> current prefabbed functions in output-lib.scm that work with this are
> `numbered-footnotes' and `symbol-footnotes'.  You can create your own w/o
> too much hassle, ie: footnote-numbering-function = #(lambda (x) (markup
> #:tiny "thank you james!")) reset-footnotes-on-new-page (default = ##t)
> -- automatic footnote annotations reset on each new page.
> All non-automatic paper-block commands apply to automatic footnotes as
> well.

How about calling that property footnote-numbering?

> NON-AUTOMATIC-FOOTNOTES
>
> *** ATTENTION ***
> For non-automatic footnotes, the paper block MUST contain
> footnote-auto-number = ##f Otherwise, LilyPond will spew numbers all over
> the page.
> *** NOITNETTA ***

Why can't we have both auto-numbered and unnumbered footnotes at the same
time? The commands to use them are already different, so from a user's
perspective, they should also work independently.
The only thing that you need to change interface-wise is to add a
autoFootnoteMarkup function instead of the footnote markup function.

I haven't looked at the code, but it should be straightforward to distinguish
auto-numbered and unnumbered footnotes (by setting a flag on them).
The numbering would then only work on those that use auto-numbering, all
others will not be prepended with a numbering...

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886