Re: Uninitialized SCM variables

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Uninitialized SCM variables
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 14:01:29 +0200

Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> writes:

> \On 8/16/11 10:25 PM, "Dan Eble" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Is there a reason that these variables in lily/profile.cc don't need to be
>> initialized?  I don't have experience with guile, but it looks dangerous.
>>
>> SCM context_property_lookup_table;
>> SCM grob_property_lookup_table;
>> SCM prob_property_lookup_table;
>
> I guess the code in this section relies on the fact that the compiler will
> initialize the unitialized value to zero.   Do you believe that is a
> problem?

0 is not a value that the garbage collector will see meaning in.

A detailed analysis will likely find that this causes no problems, but
where is the point in keeping code around that requires a detailed
analysis?  It would be better to spend the analysis on real
complications rather than sloppy code.