Re: T1349 - Fix load order for running with Guile V2 (issue 4849054)

From: Ian Hulin
Subject: Re: T1349 - Fix load order for running with Guile V2 (issue 4849054)
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 11:30:16 +0100

Hi Patrick,
On Thu 18 Aug 2011 07:50:28 BST, address@hidden wrote:

The load-order issue appears to be fixed, testing with git and guile 1.8
and 2.0.2. Ignoring whitespace changes, this patch LGTM.

Some more shuffling is needed to make sure we have markup commands
defined where they need to be, but that's beyond the scope of this
patch.

Should we have a Lilypond Markup Syntax/Guile V2 Tracker, then?
If there are any dependencies in the load list that you know about that can still bite us could we record these in the tracker, for instance the markup command itself works with both Guile 1.8 and 2.0 if it is loaded later in the list in a module apart from markup-macros.scm, but fails with 2.0 if you move the definition from markup.scm to the bottom of markup-macros.scm.

There are also some design issues to consider like:
  • Would the markup.scm and markup-macros.scm definitions work better as a SCM module?
  • Should we/can we move over to making the markup subsystem hygienic by using define-syntax?
    • (This is quite a big piece of work, and last time I tried looking at it, it seemed like it should be simple but made my head hurt).
    • It's a translation exercise very like doing the document translation, and currently definitely needs to be done by a human being rather than software.
Current plans once this is pushed is to tackle Tracker 1780 (Guile V2 squawking with deprecation errors because of (format) calls without a destination parameter) and then get back to Tracker 1686 (tackling the issue of scheme compilation).

Thanks,
Patrick

https://codereview.appspot.com/4849054/
Cheers,