Re: Moving away from make

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Moving away from make
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 22:42:01 -0300

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 6:06 AM, Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> wrote:
> Han-Wen Nienhuys writes:
>> Given that Cmake has a large following (examples include KDE and
>> LLVM), I'd be comfortable with switching to that.
>
> Interesting; have you ever used Cmake?

Lately I've been doing tweaks to parallel compilations of LLVM (cmake)
and GCC (autoconf + GNU make + some bizarre templating), and the Cmake
one is the one which gave less headaches.

>From a general perspective, choosing something that has a larger
following is a smarter choice, since it is likely that others have
already dealt with most of the obvious problems.  If I lived in an
ideal world, I'd write a build-system from scratch (and maybe some
day, I will).