Re: Make doc fails

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Make doc fails
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 10:45:44 +0100

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 11:29:28AM +0200, address@hidden wrote:

> Please let me know what I could do to prevent this from happening again

Since you were editing documentation, I would have liked you to
have:
1. touch Documentation/*.te??
   (this tells make to check all manuals to see if they need
recompiling)
2. make doc

If you'd done that, you would have seen the build fail.

> As for the convert-ly rule, I was under the impression that
> these rules were pushed on a version-to-version basis, and all
> syntax changes were written as one rule before the rolling of
> the next version.  The last time I added one was because the
> versions had changed and a rule didn't exist for the version
> during which a commit of mine happened.  Please let me know how
> you want me to go about this in the future - if there could be
> an entry in the CG about it, that'd help a great deal.

Hmm, we don't really have a set policy for this -- and with the
patch/review/push cycle sometimes taking more than a month, it's a
tricky issue.

For now, let's just say that syntax changes are really, really
icky, and if you absolutely need to do one, we'll talk about how
to do it safely in that specific instance.  I don't want to try to
make a general rule at the moment.