Re: Gets rid of length in the docs. (issue 4965053)

From: Mike Solomon
Subject: Re: Gets rid of length in the docs. (issue 4965053)
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 13:45:20 +0200

On Aug 30, 2011, at 1:27 PM, Graham Percival wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 01:07:46PM +0200, Mike Solomon wrote:
>> Bad: the user has to use a new syntax - instead of \override Stem #'length =
>> #5, they need to type \override Stem #'Y-extent = #(stem::length 5)
>
> What's the difference (from your end) between #(stem::length 5)
> and #5 ?

Aside from the fact that one uses stem::length and one doesn't, I don't know,
which is why I'm the wrong guy to ask about UI :)

In current master, #'Y-extent = #(stem::length 5) does exactly what #'length =
#5 did a week ago.

I believe that Trevor is claiming that #(stem::length 5) is worse from a
UI-perspective than #5.  I think he is right insofar as stem::length means
there are more things to type, but I think that if the person has gotten to the
point where they are doing tweaks, they can write #(stem::length 5) instead of
#5 with little to no extra mental overhead (especially if it is explained in
the docs).  However, I may be underestimating how difficult the LilyPond user
experience is - I do know that when I started using LilyPond, numbers seemed
friendlier to me than things in parentheses.

Cheers,
MS