Re: Text hyphenation

From: Arthur Reutenauer
Subject: Re: Text hyphenation
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2011 15:04:07 +0100

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 05:31:31PM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> For hyphenation, there exists the libhyphen library (used e.g. in
> OpenOffice).

  It implements the original hyphenation algorithm of TeX with
extensions (I don't know what those are), but it does not have the rules
for hyphenating the different languages; these are maintained as a
package for TeX Live and other distributions (I have been one of the
maintainers for the past three years).  It contains hyphenation patterns
for over 60 languages; the ones for "major" languages have been
extensively tested by one generation of TeX users and are probably of
very high quality: some of them actually come from major publishers or
researchers of the language at hand (Oxford Univeristy Press for British
English, for example).

  See http://tug.org/tex-hyphen/ -- the page is admittedly rather empty,
but has pointers and links to all the relevant information.

        Arthur