Re: Errors when doing 'make' for the first time when building the fonts

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Errors when doing 'make' for the first time when building the fonts
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2011 08:29:22 +0200 (CEST)

> 'make -j7 --enable-double' or '../configure --enable-double' or
> something else?

The latter.  Sorry for being imprecise.  Just to be sure: I'm talking
about compilation and configuration of FontForge, not LilyPond.

> Can you tell me though what the ramifications are in terms of reg
> test checking that I do if I am getting these errors?

These errors indicate that FontForge wasn't able to cleanly simplify
some outlines in the process of converting the raw PS fonts created by
mf2pt1 to the final OTF files.  A consequence of this can be indeed
many visual differences in feta and parmesan glyphs (for example, an
incorrectly filled G clef).

If you get this error inspite of using a FontForge version configured
with `--enable-double', we have a problem in the Metafont code which
must be fixed.

You can check this by yourself if you say

  fontforge --version

and the version string contains `-D' or `-LD', e.g.

 Executable based on sources from 23:14 GMT 25-Feb-2011-ML-TtfDb-D.
                                                                ^^

    Werner