Re: Stem direction wrong for white mensural music?

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Stem direction wrong for white mensural music?
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 10:44:17 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Benko Pál" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
Cc: "Devel" <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, October 09, 2011 9:23 AM

If I compile the following code (the start of Dufay's Ave Regina a3) with
default settings, the stems follow modern style - some up, some down. For
ancient music (I'm not sure when this ended, but it certainly applies around
the period up to 1500) the stems were always up for normal notes; -
downstems showed other features - e.g. chromatic alteration on German
tablatures.

It's trivial to fix with a \stemUp, but I'd suggest this is a bug. Does
anyone else have a view, before I add it to the tracker?

music _prints_ do use downward stems, what's more, it's not at all systematical,
see e.g. the example in
http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1839#c13
so we are left to apply manual \stemUp's and \stemDown's
(I use a global \stemUp and hack closing longae to \stemDown).

Thanks. On the manuscripts I'm looking at, they're all up-stem. I'm assuming the printed version is a later reworking of a manuscript? Do you think the printers adopted more modern methods, or did downstems also creep into manuscript music?

--
Phil Holmes