Re: new specific instrument notation : Harmonica

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: new specific instrument notation : Harmonica
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 13:22:02 +0200

Sylvain Ductor <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm interested in making a lilypond plugin for harmonica  notation.
> You can have examples here
>http://www.di-arezzo.com/multimedia/images/lemoine/part/28355.jpg or
> here http://www.di-arezzo.com/multimedia/images/lemoine/part/27626.jpg.
> The basic idea is to add to lily language the writable harmonica
> language (that you can see
> here http://img28.xooimage.com/files/2/d/1/super_mario_bros_theme01-df7f0d.
> jpg) and add, I don't know a voice or anything, that will add the
> harmonica score as in the first example.
> The harmonica score is specific to a certain harmonica tuning and I'm
> currently working on a software that allow to generate such a score
> given a lilypond score and a tuning specification.

I suggest you look at ly/string-tunings-init.ly and scm/tablature.scm.
Those provide a good example for the kind of information processing to
use for getting from a normal score with hints (in this case, string
numbers) to an instrument specific rendition.

An external software is always to be much more clunky in handling than
something that can directly work from the music score.

> It's the fist time I participate to an open source project and I'm a
> little lost about how things works here (I don't even now if it's the
> right way to contact you ^^').

Search the web (or your online documentation) for the the "Contributors'
guide" of Lilypond, often lovingly abbreviated as "CG" in these mailing
lists.