Re: Fixes slope errors from incorrect X extents in Beam::print. (issue 5

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Fixes slope errors from incorrect X extents in Beam::print. (issue 5293060)
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 07:19:41 +0200

On Oct 25, 2011, at 5:52 AM, address@hidden wrote:

> http://codereview.appspot.com/5293060/diff/2001/lily/beam.cc
> File lily/beam.cc (right):
>
> http://codereview.appspot.com/5293060/diff/2001/lily/beam.cc#newcode987
> lily/beam.cc:987: Beam::calc_x_span (Grob *me_non_spanner, Grob
> *commonx)
> Why should the x-span of a line-broken beam depend on whether we
> requested that it have consistent slope across the break?
> Shouldn't the 'span' of a broken beam always go to the end of the beam,
> beyond the last stem, for the purposes used in Beam::print() ?
> If not, what use-case will break when we choose consistent-broken-slope
> after this patch ?

Before this patch, the x_span of beams was only ever calculated between the
first normal stem and last normal stem of a beam (omitting any trailing beamage
on the left or right coming from breaks and/or stemlets).  If it has a
consistent slope, however, the x_span of a broken part of a beam should be the
whole length, as the trailing beamage on the right and/or left are part of the
length between two stems.  This is where the difference comes from.

When you say "what use-case will break when we choose consistent-broken-slope
after this patch ?", I'm not sure what you mean.

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers,
MS