Re: PATCH: Countdown to 20111027

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: PATCH: Countdown to 20111027
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 07:04:48 -0600

On 11-10-25 11:04 PM, Graham Percival wrote:
On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 06:26:01AM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
    Procedural question - fixes for 1990 and 1992 are in dev/staging and may
    or may not be in master (I haven't checked yet this morning).
If they're in staging, then that means that you want them pushed
immediately.  They shouldn't be in staging until they've completed
the countdown.

  When a
    patch is finally pushed to master, will the original author get a
    notification so that she can mark it as fixed on the tracker, or does the
    author have to check from time to time to see if it was pushed?
Original author should mark the tracker issues "fixed" when he
pushes them to staging.

- Graham

A couple of points for clarity, then:

Procedurally, I gather that the patch meister doesn't really care whether a patch is on /staging or /master, only that Patchy has checked it, and that there are no howls of protest in the discussion on Rietveld or the various lists, before marking it for countdown, and eventually for pushing. However, the first point above is ambiguous: if a patch only gets to staging by way of a countdown, then wanting it pushed immediately is moot. If, on the other hand, the immediate push is the criterion, then the countdown is moot. I had the impression that staging was for potentially disruptive patches, those which might cause large-scale weeping and wailing, and so should go into a sort of extra sanity check before going onto master.

Given that the Bug Squad verify patches with current GUB, can we label patches which are fixed in /staging differently from those which are fixed in GUB, so that a patch marked "fixed" is assumed *not* to be in the GUB build? This might be a developer error, simply forgetting to update the tag, but it could also mean the patch is not yet in the publicly available rele4ase.

Cheers,

Colin

--
I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both
hands.