Advice on best beaming

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Advice on best beaming
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 00:33:04 +0000

As I've been working on fixing issue 11, I also ran across a request from
Sven
Axelsson to change the way beamlets are assigned automatically.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.general/66578

Or
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2011-09/msg00208.html

As I looked at the various references, it seemed that his request was not
only a preference, but a correct request, as it shows the beat
subdivisions more clearly.

I've now got code that will produce his requested beaming.  See
new-sven-test.png for the output of the new code.  See old-sven-test.png
for the output of the existing code.

Please let me know whether or not you agree that the new beaming is better
than the old beaming.  I think I've identified how I can make the switch
between the two, but I'm not sure I really want to add a property to do
so.  I'd welcome opinions in that regard.

In running the regtests, I came across one that has some very non-standard
beaming, and I think the request in the regtest is wrong.

Please see the file old-odd-rhythm.png for the old version of the regtest,
and new-odd-rhythm for the new version of the regtest.  I believe that
old-odd-rhythm is wrong because it implies that the first set of beamed
notes and rests total up to an eighth note (or quaver, if I understand
british usage correctly), when in fact it is 1/64 short of a full quaver.

New-odd-rhythm is odd as well (and it should be, because the rhythm is odd
-- with this type of syncopation the quaver should be broken up into a
hemidemisemiquaver (did I get this right) tied to a double-dotted
semiquaver, which would have a tie at the quaver boundary.

At any rate, I think the new beaming for this case is better than the old
beaming, because it is less misleading.

That being said, I'm not a musical expert, so I'd like your opinions
before I go ahead and post this patch for review.

Thanks,

Carl