Re: git-cl gives up too easily on failed google credentials

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: git-cl gives up too easily on failed google credentials
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 10:08:38 +0000

On Sun, Nov 06, 2011 at 09:42:28AM +0000, Adam Spiers wrote:
> I uploaded two more patches last night using git-cl, but due to my use
> of google's 2-step authentication, both times I screwed up before
> realising that I needed to create an application-specific password.

hmm, I hadn't thought of that.

> 1. You only get one shot at authenticating with google for issue
>    creation at code.google.com.  Could be easily fixed by wrapping
>    the (interactive) authentication process in a 'while ! authenticated'
>    loop.

true.  I just make a ~/.lilypond-project-hosting-login and avoid
the username/password altogether.  (at least for the
coge.google.com part; I still need to enter the password for the
rietveld part)

> 2. You can only create a new issue there if you upload something to
>    Rietveld first as part of the same invocation.  There's an option:
>
>      -n, --no-code-issue   do not upload to code.google.com
>
>    so I guess there needs to be a complementary option:
>
>      -N, --no-review-issue   do not upload to Rietveld

So far, people seem to be happy just editing issues on the tracker
manually.  I've already given you access, so you can add new
issues and change labels at whim:
http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/list?can=2&mode=grid

> (b) I didn't know how to test them with creating an unholy
> mess in Rietveld or code.google.com.

For this, we've just used an old project of mine, "mewes".  Feel
free to upload junk issues there.

> One more question: where are issues with git-cl tracked?

nowhere so far.  I have no objection to either my git-cl github
page, or the lilypond issue tracker.  I suppose the github page
would make more sense, but people here are familiar with the
lilypond tracker but not necessarily the github tracker, so...
well, I have no clear intuition on which to use.