Re: what should patchy do for staging?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: what should patchy do for staging?
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 23:56:30 +0100

> On Wed, Nov 09, 2011 at 05:33:53PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Try the following, and please make it fail if any command returns a
>> non-zero exit status.  I don't know Python at all.
>
> thanks, pushed under your name.  I then added the "fail with
> non-zero" thing.
>
> I ran it briefly on my laptop and it seemed plausible.  I'll try a
> longer thing on my desktop now, but I'm not going to push it if it
> works because I'm worried about your "care will be needed".

Let's take the "David, I tested dev/staging at commit 43214314xxxxxx,
and it's fine" mail scenario.

What I would do then is
git push origin 43214314xxxxxx:refs/heads/dev/staging

and see whether it fails.  _That_ is something you can equally well.
The difference may just be that I check and mail you back telling you
"Uh, Graham? dev/staging has no commit 43214314xxxxxx.  What have you
been testing?" because either you or your tools tried to do more work
than they should, and arrived at something they _could_, but likely
_should not_ push.