Re: Patchy and dev/staging

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Patchy and dev/staging
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 17:51:23 +0100

> If James uses patch from lilypond-extra
>   e52f265dd585050fe74250fd291d85886b7f653f
> then AFAIK patchy is "stupid enough".  It's doing
>   git clone --mirror -s %s .git
>   git --git-dir=.git config core.bare false
>   git checkout origin/master
>   git merge --ff-only origin/dev/staging
>
> and then testing the result.  If it fails at any step (be it a git
> command, autogen.sh, configure, make, make test, or make doc) then
> it bails.

Sounds good.  One silly thing that can happen is when master is strictly
ahead of staging: in that case the merge leaves it as master.  master
gets tested and declared ready to push, and pushing master to master is
not all that interesting.  But no harm done either.

The one thing I am wondering about is _after_ the testing.  From which
repo are you going to push what?  The cloned repo is basically there so
that the work on the main repo does not get interrupted, but I don't
know whether it will allow pushing.  It is possible that one needs to
push with a full target URL from there or configure git to know about
the pristine origin.

Alternatively, push from your main repo.  Either you know that you have
not run git fetch again or done anything else that would have changed
origin/dev/staging, or you can likely ask the test repo for the commit
id you want to push.