Spacing oddities

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Spacing oddities
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 00:32:43 +0000

I have a problem with understanding how spacing works in the attached file.

On my system 2.15.17, OSX, It fits on to 5 pages, and yet each page looks
like it could have one more system.

You can see the resulting pdf (with annotate-spacing turned on) at

http://www.et.byu.edu/~soresen/BruchRomance.pdf

Some specific questions:

Page 1 has 32.76 space left, according to annotate-spacing.  The first
system on page 2 has an extent-estimate of (-23.98 . 0).  So why won't it
fit on the first page?

Why are the extent-estimates for the first and last systems on page 2 so
much larger than the visual extent?

If anybody can shed light on these questions, I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

Carl