Re: scm_local_eval is not available in Guile V2.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: scm_local_eval is not available in Guile V2.
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 18:02:19 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Ian Hulin <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The latest git now dies on my V2 Guile system with
>> .../lily/parse-scm.cc:59:64: error 'scm_local_eval' was not declared in
>> this scope.
>
> Related.  #{ ... #} is evaluated in the lexical context of the
> surrounding function.  Is there anything that made Guile a flexible
> tool left in Guile V2?  "compilation" gives us all the disadvantages
> and rigidity of C at a fraction of its speed, it seems.
>
> I'll have to see whether I can come up with something working even
> half as nicely.  Probably will have to be rather close to the kludge
> we had before.

Ok, I have a scheme for doing this in a likely V2-compatible way.  Not
really pretty, though.  I just compile all # and $ expressions in #{ #}
into anonymous lambda functions at compile time of #{ ... #}, and when
the content of #{ ... #} is actually parsed for real, I call the lambda
functions in sequence for getting the corresponding values.  There may
be a possible alternative implementation using continuations, but I have
my doubts about the efficiency or even viability of doing this with V2.

But it does not make sense to do this change on current master before
some additional changes now in countdown are in.  So you'll be a few
more days without working setup.  Sorry for that.