Re: recent make doc failure

From: Julien Rioux
Subject: Re: recent make doc failure
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 18:23:45 -0500

On 29/11/2011 6:15 PM, Graham Percival wrote:
On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 05:28:37PM -0500, Julien Rioux wrote:
This is a sequential make and make doc. The latter stops with the
error message given below. Extract_texi_filename is the last thing
that runs correctly and then make tries to copy a file from the
build dir instead of the source dir. Does anybody else experience
this?

I've seen some mentions of this from the arch linux guy, but I
can't recall if a proper bug report made its way into the tracker.

Just looking for some confirmation so that I can identify if I did
something wrong or not.
cp -p web.texi out-www/web.texi
cp: cannot stat `web.texi': No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [out-www/web.texi] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory

I similar messages in Dec 2009 or 2010 with lilybuntu 1.1 (old
version).  Only occurred when running inside virtualbox.  The
problem went away when ubuntu sent out a kernel upgrade.
Seriously.

If it's the same bug, then running "make doc" again should
complete the fr/ translations, but die on the de/ or es/ ones.  If
you repeat "make doc" 7 or 8 times, you'll end up with the
complete docs.

Ah yeah, I forgot to test that. I already nuked the build dir, but I'll try it next time.

I can't see anything wrong in what you're doing, and I think there
*is* some kind of dependency problem.  You're the best person to
debug those!
incidently, I have no problems making doc, so I suspect some kind
of timing / dependency order issue.

Thank you for checking. So something setup-dependent. Bliss.

Cheers,
Julien