Re: problem with checking out staging branch

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: problem with checking out staging branch
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 22:35:47 +0100

2012/1/3 Janek Warchoł <address@hidden>:
> 2012/1/3 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
>> You don't have staging in your fetch line.  That's why I recommended
>> fetching * instead of just master.
>
> Ah!!  You see, i wasn't smart enough to understand what you wrote
> about that asterisk.
> Everything works fine now, and i understand.  Great!  Many thanks!!

Fetching all branches created a new problem: can i tell git that it
should rebase branches against master by default?  Because now when i
checked a non-master, non-staging local branch and called 'git pull
-r' he said

You asked me to pull without telling me which branch you
want to rebase against, and 'branch.mook.merge' in
your configuration file does not tell me, either. Please
specify which branch you want to use on the command line and
try again (e.g. 'git pull <repository> <refspec>').
See git-pull(1) for details.

If you often rebase against the same branch, you may want to
use something like the following in your configuration file:

    [branch "mook"]
    remote = <nickname>
    merge = <remote-ref>
    rebase = true

    [remote "<nickname>"]
    url = <url>
    fetch = <refspec>

See git-config(1) for details.

Of course i can do what he suggests, but it means either
- a lot of typing 'git pull -r origin refs/heads/master' (if i got it right)
- editing config file every time i create a branch (not nice).

Ideas?

Janek