Re: Stable release proposal

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Stable release proposal
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 14:21:18 +0100 (CET)

>> Normally, a route to a stable release means a code freeze, applying
>> only fixes to problems within the code.  This also means that no
>> new bug fixes get applied.  Are we going to do the same?
>
> I think Werner means fix only things that are not working as
> advertised, but defer fixes that are improvements to layout.  If so,
> I agree.

Actually, I mean it a bit stronger.  For a stable release's code
freeze, no new issues from our bug database should be handled,
regardless of whether they are bugs in behaviour, or in typesetting,
or documentation, or whatever.  Fatal crashes must be fixed, of
course, and advertised behaviour must be fixed, too, in case it
doesn't work properly.  But even new regressions found after the code
freeze shouldn't be handled but delayed to the first bugfix release of
the stable version.

    Werner