Re: Issue 2100: Explanation of branches for CG (issue 5539062)

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Issue 2100: Explanation of branches for CG (issue 5539062)
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 22:00:49 +0100

2012/1/17 Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
>> http://codereview.appspot.com/5539062/diff/3004/Documentation/contributor/source-code.itexi#newcode297
>> Documentation/contributor/source-code.itexi:297: git branch dev/cg
>> I think it would be good to be verbose, because it will give people more
>> information about using git (and they won't have to ask certain
>> questions).  In this case i would suggest
>>
>> git branch dev/cg --track origin/master
>
> But we don't want it to track origin/master, do we?  People should
> merge from master manually (covered in this section).

If i understand git manual correctly, --track only tells git from
which remote branch it should pull.  It doesn't tell git to pull
automatically.
I've created a branch with --track, i'll see if anything happens to it
automatically.

>> I'd write something like
>> "You can switch to your local branches and to the remote branches as
>> well"
>> instead.
>
> ... but *this* confuses me.  How can git switch to a remote
> branch?  Aren't all branches local?  I mean, whenever you switch
> to a "remote" branch, doesn't that just create a local copy of the
> remote branch, then put you on that local branch?

Yes, i think it works like that (and still these are called "remote
branches").  My wording was misleading.
More about remote branches here http://progit.org/book/ch3-5.html
The first paragraph gives a very nice explanation.

cheers,
Janek