Re: Broadcast articulations not in EventChord (issue 5528111)

From: mtsolo
Subject: Re: Broadcast articulations not in EventChord (issue 5528111)
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 11:39:18 +0000

I still think this patch goes outside the model of the way these things
are usually designed in LilyPond.  I'm not saying that LilyPond's design
paradigm is objectively good or bad (I truly have no idea, as I know
nothing about any other piece of software), but I think it's best to
follow it whenever possible.

Currently, this patch is making a modification to music-iterator, the
base class from which all others inherit.

Normally, be it an iterator, engraver, or grob, whenever a new
functionality is needed in LilyPond, a new X is created (where X is
iterator, engraver, or grob).  There are only a few rare cases where the
base class has to be modified (i.e. adding color to a grob, which
effects every grob).

I'll send you a sketch of a patch that's more in line with the way these
things are coded in the current LilyPond style.  There's no guarantee
that it'll work, but it'll give you an idea of how to modify this one.

Cheers

http://codereview.appspot.com/5528111/