Re: checking 2240

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: checking 2240
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 22:44:32 +0000

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 05:33:28PM -0500, Julien Rioux wrote:
> On 22/01/2012 2:50 PM, Graham Percival wrote:
> >             try:
> >                 autoCompile.configure()
> >                 autoCompile.patch(patch_filename)
> >                 autoCompile.build(quick_make=True,
> >issue_id=issue_id)
> >                 autoCompile.regtest_check(issue_id)
>
> Python exception handling is simple but it can trip you up.
> When any of patch, build, or regtest_check fails here, we exit the
> try: block and end up...

ah, good catch.

> So there is a serious flaw in the patch-testing internals of this
> script. When every patch succeeds, everything is fine, but when one
> patch fails, everything snowballs.

Yeah, when the testing run has a lot of failures, I generally look
at patches manually, mark anything wrong that's obviously wrong,
then try a new run.

> Another issue is that git master is not updated to the latest
> origin/master before starting the test runs. This might be just a
> matter of documentation, but I would actually have this happen in
> the script itself since the name of the game is automatic testing.

hmm, I thought that I added an "update to origin/master" to the
staging merge stuff... but even if I did that correctly, there's
still no harm in doing it as part of the patch testing.