Re: Plans for changing chord repeat implementations

From: Nicolas Sceaux
Subject: Re: Plans for changing chord repeat implementations
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 21:09:17 +0100

Le 26 janv. 2012 à 11:00, David Kastrup a écrit :

> The bad news is that absolute pitch friends would have to call the \q
> function (any better name for it?) explicitly.  Since q is an input
> convenience, and relative pitch is also an input convenience, I don't
> think that there would be much of an affected user base.

I do use absolute pitch mode, together with the q shortcut, so the
affected user base is non-nil.  \relative is to save characters, but `q'
is more than that, it also improves to maintain and read code, so it's
not surprising to see absolute mode and `q' together.  Here is a real
word example copied from my code base:

  {
    R2. |
    <sol' do'' mi''>8-"pincé" q q q q q |
    q q q q q q |
    q <sol re' si' fa''> q q <sol re' re'' si''> q |
    q <sol re' si' fa''> q q <sol re' re'' si''> q |
    q4 r2 |
    r8 <sol re' si' fa''> q q q q |
    <sol' do'' mi''>8 q q q <sol re' do''>4 <sol fa' si'> |
    <sol mi' do''>4 r2 |
    <sol' do'' mi''>8 q q q q q |
    q q q q q q |
    r2 <la' mi''>4 |
    <fa' mi''>8 q q q q q |
    q q q q r4 |
  }

What would be the impact of your solution on this kind of code?
Is it just about adding e.g. \q before the block?

Nicolas