Re: google summer of code

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: google summer of code
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 17:07:06 +0000

On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 05:38:31PM +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Ooh.  I think I qualify - I'm officially a full-time student.  I'd be
> > happy to share the "bounty"...
>
> I should be surprised if that is even permitted.  Of course, it is
> unlikely that they are going to check your personal accounts, but in
> order not to make valuable offerings like this close down eventually (or
> add more onerous enforcement rules), I consider it fair to stay with the
> spirit of the thing.

Yes.  That said, if Phil is willing/interested in working a
full-time job on lilypond for 3 months over the summer (IIRC -- it
may be 4 or 2 months instead), then he's earned that money and can
legitimately do whatever he wants with it, including sending the
entire sum to somebody else.

But the expectation *is* that the student is working a full-time
job/internship.

> Of course, it sounds like the $500 for the
> organization would be fair game...  The amount of mentoring happening on
> these lists alone is definitely not to be sneezed at.

Yes.  I'm confident that we prove more mentoring than at least 90%
of the projects that get a GSoC.  I'm not certain how they'd view
"mentoring" a student who was already involve in the project -- I
mean, technically I'm still a student.  If there were serious
interest in this, somebody would need to check the details.

I don't think that we should aim this specifically at Phil (or at
David); rather, we should ask if this is the kind of thing that we
want to spend time on.