Re: Bad translation merge

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Bad translation merge
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2012 13:58:24 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

>> Hi, the recent translation merge apparently made some wrong choices when
>> dealing with merge conflicts.  Changes in staging have been overwritten
>> in the following files:
>
>> And that affects a lot more than just translations.  I have removed that
>> commit from origin/staging, and we'll have to investigate what
>> happened.  Francisco, do you remember the commands you used for merging
>> translation into staging?  I'll try repeating this on my own and see
>> whether I can reproduce this.
>
> I can reproduce the problems when merging.  It would appear that the
> history of the translation branch got messed up at some point of time in
> a manner that git can't recognize how to merge properly anymore.
>
> I will try to figure out what happened here.  Please don't merge the
> translation branch to staging while I try figuring this out.

Ok, the shit hit the fan.  Apparently I was not fast enough, and
somebody ran the staging-merge on the bad translation merge.  Now master
is borked.

We have the following options:

a) reset master and staging to one commit earlier, then try to repair
the damage.  That's what I try doing now --- did not work.
remote: error: By default, deleting the current branch is denied, because the
next
remote: error: 'git clone' won't result in any file checked out, causing
confusion.
remote: error:
remote: error: You can set 'receive.denyDeleteCurrent' configuration variable to
remote: error: 'warn' or 'ignore' in the remote repository to allow deleting the
remote: error: current branch, with or without a warning message.
remote: error:
remote: error: To squelch this message, you can set it to 'refuse'.
remote: error: refusing to delete the current branch: refs/heads/master
To ssh://git.sv.gnu.org/srv/git/lilypond.git
 ! [remote rejected] master (deletion of the current branch prohibited)

b) I hate life.

Please _don't_ push anything to the repository until I give the ok.
This will likely take at least the rest of the day.  I will have to
figure out what went wrong where, and create a revert that does not
cause more damage in the aftermath.