Re: vertical spacing - skyline integrals

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: vertical spacing - skyline integrals
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 23:31:11 +0100 (CET)

>> Looks right: The area between horizontal skylines should influence the
>> spacing.  However, I think we need a parameter to adjust the amount of
>> influence.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean.

I mean that some people probably want a more rigid spacing, only
slightly influenced by the area inbetween.  This is a matter of taste

> I suggest that this would be added to spacing alists, for example
>
> \paper {
>   system-system-spacing #'average-gap = #4
> }
>
> would mean that the desired whitespace area is 4 staffspace * line
> width.

Yes, but I would like to have an additional parameter, say,

  system-system-spacing #'rigidity = X

where X is a number between 0 and 1.  Value 1 essentially means no
skyline integrals, while value 0 exactly the opposite.

> I've identified two potential problems that may appear, and ideas
> for solutions:
>
>   www.anonstorage.net/PStorage/621.skyline-integrals-teeth-marked.pdf
>   www.anonstorage.net/PStorage/328.integrals-pitfall-two-marked.pdf

A possible solution is to `dampen' the skyline for the area
computation, this is, to apply the beam logic to the skyline.  For
example, this

becomes this:

  ---------
             \