Re: Automatic beaming in melismas

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Automatic beaming in melismas
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 22:45:34 +0100

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 8:03 PM, Jean-Charles Malahieude
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Le 22/03/2012 13:00, Janek Warchoł disait :
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Francisco Vila  wrote:
>>> Melismas are indicated in the score by slurs, so slur
>>> equals melisma.
>>
>> Not always.  Sometimes they're also used for portamento between syllabes.
>
> I then use a "phrasing slur": a4\( \melisma b8 c\) \melismaEnd

I did that, too.  But sooner or later you'll stumble upon a piece
where both portamento slur and phrasing slur happen simultaneously.
Sure, there are workarounds - but what we need is a semantically
correct solution, not a workaround.  Using logical and structurally
correct solutions is one of the most important advantages of LilyPond.

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 8:08 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> Jean-Charles Malahieude <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> The main problem in this case, in my opinion, is that you can't even
>> build a shortcut for combining melisma and autobeaming, since beaming
>> is *prefix* and melisma *postfix*.
>
> Beaming is prefix?

manual beaming is of course postfix, but what we need here is
\autoBeamOn/Off, and that isn't a postevent.
(we need autobeaming, because in long melismas notes aren't beamed all
together.  In long melismas notes are beamed almost like they would be
done using autobeaming).

cheers,
Janek