Cross-staff stems

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Cross-staff stems
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 16:45:12 +0100

http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2427 links to an example implementation of cross-staff stems done by Pavel. It's now sort-of delivered as part of lilypond code, as a snippet in snippets/new. AFAICS it's an almost perfectly workable implementation. I think that an enhancement would be to remove the flags for the crossing stems - they're never there (AFAICS) in real music, and Gould shows the stems without flags. It's trivial to do this by adding an override/revert to the crossStaff function.

I don't see why this isn't implemented as a standard feature of lilypond, instead of just being an example in a snippet that's not even in the documentation. I'd be happy to document it if we did this. What do others think - could this be added as a standard function - it would make my life _a lot_ easier.

I've attached a simple example of how to use it and the output (including my proposed override to get rid of spurious flags).

{
 <<
   \new PianoStaff <<
     \new Staff = "RH"
     <<
       \new Voice
       {
         \autoBeamOff
         \stemUp < d'' b' >4 b'4 b'4 b'4 |  % 1
         b'8 b'8 b'8 [ b'8  b'8 b'8 ] b'8 b'8 |
       }

     \new Staff = "LH"
     <<
       \new Voice
       {
         \autoBeamOff
         \stemUp \crossStaff { < g' e'>4 g'4 g'4 g'4 } |  % 1
         \crossStaff { g'''''8 g'8 g'8 g'8 g'8 g'8 g'8 g'8 } |
       }

}

--
Phil Holmes