Re: make bin got dumb because of "Fix description in lily/include/smobs.

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: make bin got dumb because of "Fix description in lily/include/smobs.hh"
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 20:55:50 +0200

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 7:35 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> So obviously something else is wrong here.  Try removing
> lily/out/smobs.dep and lily/out/smobs.o and see whether this helps.
>
> To be expected is a large amount of recompilation _once_ since a lot of
> files need smobs.hh.  If it occurs repeatedly, one has to suspect that
> there is something like a read-only lily/out/smobs.o (perhaps written by
> a different user), but then this should not work again after reverting
> the file.  Reverting should actually pretty much do the same: touch the
> comments and file date, but do nothing important otherwise.

So, compiling from scratch (i.e. deleting build/ subdir) should fix it, right?
Well, this is all *very* weird.  I was struggling with this problem
for half a day and i was pretty certain that my conclusion was right.
I did a sort-of-manual-bisect and every time i've included this patch
make bin didn't work as expected: after making from scratch and adding
some trivial changes, make bin quite consistently wanted to recompile
everything.

Now comes the most surprising part: just to make sure, i just did the following:
checkout origin/master  # local master contained a revert of that commit
make from scratch
add a trivial change
make bin  ...succeeds!  Are you a magician or something?
checkout master
reset --hard HEAD~1  # throw out revert and the trivial change -
master is identical to origin/master
make bin  ...doesn't work properly.

wtf!  This is beyond my mind to comprehend.

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 7:46 PM, Jean-Charles Malahieude
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Would not it be related with a clock problem?
> Your box is running too fast for me!

Indeed, i've changed the clock for some time and many files had
"future" timestamp.  However, changing their timestamps seemes not to
change anything in the behaviour of make bin.

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 8:18 PM, address@hidden
<address@hidden> wrote:
> If you just want to make the binaries, you can cc into the lily directory of
> your build directory and do a make all.

Cool!  I didn't realize it's so simple - thanks.

best,
Janek