Re: \tweak inside Lyrics - is tweaking LyricHyphens unsupported?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: \tweak inside Lyrics - is tweaking LyricHyphens unsupported?
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 21:47:11 +0200

Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> recently David allowed \tweak to be used in Lyrics context, and
> allowed to use additional parameter for modifying indirect grobs.
> Armed with that, i hoped to achieve the result of this:
>
> { \repeat unfold 4 c'16 }
> \addlyrics { The \once \override LyricHyphen #'minimum-distance = #4
> peo -- ple that }
>
> using \tweak.  To my surprise none of the following works correctly:
>
> { \repeat unfold 4 c'16 }
> \addlyrics { The peo \tweak #'minimum-distance #4 -- ple that }
>
> { \repeat unfold 4 c'16 }
> \addlyrics { The peo \tweak LyricHyphen #'minimum-distance #4 -- ple that }
>
> { \repeat unfold 4 c'16 }
> \addlyrics { The \tweak LyricHyphen #'minimum-distance #4 peo -- ple that }
>
> Am i doing something wrong or is what i want simply unsupported?

-- is an articulation, not a separate event, so you need to write
The peo ^\tweak ,,, --

Note that there is no way around using ^ to indicate the \tweak being a
post-event: the problem is that postevents are parsed differently from
straight music, so LilyPond first needs to decide it is going to make
straight music or a postevent, and the neutral direction indicator - has
a different meaning in lyrics.  You can do one of the following:

{ \repeat unfold 4 c'16 }
\addlyrics { The peo
^\tweak #'minimum-distance #14 -- ple that }

postweak =
#(define-event-function (parser location grob path val ev)
  ((string? *unspecified*) list-or-symbol? scheme? ly:event?)
  #{ \tweak $grob #path #val $ev #})

{ \repeat unfold 4 c'16 }
\addlyrics { The peo
\postweak LyricHyphen #'minimum-distance #14 -- ple that }

Neither is really pretty.  At one time I hope to be able to unify the
parsing of event and music function arguments: then one could first
evaluate the function, _then_ decide whether it is a post-event or not.