utf-8-strings

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: utf-8-strings
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 09:57:07 +0200

Hi,

together with Arnold I worked on a method how to compress or stretch a
text, limiting it to the space between characters, i.e. the letters
itself shouldn't be scaled.
(Comes out of a discussion at the german LilyPond-Forum:
http://www.lilypondforum.de/index.php?topic=1152.0 )

The difficulty is to achieve a functionality which turns a string into
a list of single strings and works with accented letters, german
Umlaute, non-europian fonts etc.
p.e.:
"áèçäöüテスト" → '("á" "è" "ç" "ä" "ö" "ü" "テ" "ス" "ト")

We're coming up with the attached code.

Problems:
UNICODE is increasing, so the code needs updating from time to time.
Once LilyPond uses guile 2.0 the situation may be completely
different. (I've not a clue about guile 2.0)

What do you think?
Or let me ask different: Are there any objections to turn it into a patch?

-Harm

P.S. Don't know whether Arnold has subcribed to -devel. So I cc him.